Our professional dental team at Trail West Family Dentistry can do a lot to improve the health of your teeth and gums. However, you can’t have a dentist keeping tabs on your teeth every day. Practice these dental hygiene tips as a part of your daily routine at home to ensure your teeth and gums stay healthy and clean between dental visits.
What is Home Oral Care?
Home oral care includes everything you do at home to maintain a healthy mouth between your regularly scheduled dental cleanings and checkups. Good dental hygiene includes regular brushing, flossing, and more.
Guidelines for Home Oral Care
What should you include in your home oral care routine?
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. We recommend once in the morning and once at night before you go to sleep.
- Floss every day. Food particles can get stuck between your teeth, and your toothbrush alone won’t reach between your teeth. If you struggle to use traditional dental floss, interdental brushes or a water flosser can also effectively clean between your teeth.
- Eat a healthy diet. The food you eat is essential for the health of your body, and it helps your teeth stay healthy, too. Eating a balanced diet and drinking plenty of water are important aspects of a good oral hygiene routine.
- Limit your intake of sugar. Sugary drinks and food can be very damaging to your teeth. Even some fruit juices are highly acidic or contain a lot of sugar.
Benefits of Good Home Oral Care
If you still aren’t convinced about the importance of great dental hygiene habits, check out these benefits of good home oral care.
- Reduce your risk for tooth decay. Daily brushing gets rid of the bacteria, sugar, and plaque that build up on your teeth is key to preventing cavities and maintaining healthy gums.
- Save money on potential dental treatments. If you take good care of your teeth, you will almost certainly have fewer dental problems that need fixing. Dental treatments and procedures can get expensive. Your home oral care routine can save you a lot of money.
- Freshen your breath. Nobody likes having bad breath! Brushing and flossing are some of the best ways to eliminate bad breath.
- Keep your natural teeth. Avoid the necessity for teeth replacements, such as dentures, by taking good care of your natural teeth on a regular basis.
- Better gum health. Periodontal disease can lead to gum recession, and in some cases even tooth loss. Prevent gum disease with good home dental habits. Your whole body will thank you!
We’ll Partner With You in Your Journey to Better Oral Health
At Trail West Family Dentistry, we care about each patient. We will do everything to help you maintain healthy teeth and gums. Schedule your next appointment at our family dental office in Greenville, South Carolina.